Worth Pursuing
As most of you know, you can't say anything to me that doesn't remind me of a personal story that I just HAVE to share. I think there are words for people like me, but I’m not sure they're always nice.
Take for instance that great story about Elijah and Elisha (from 1 Kings 19).
Elijah was about to be taken up into Heaven. We know that, because people kept asking the young man Elisha if he knew this was happening soon. His answer was, “Yes”.
But Elisha didn't want to let him go, so he kept following him around ........ until Elijah stops and says the equivalent of "WHAT??"
Then Elisha asked for his blessing, which he received.
Now, fast forward thru history to 1968. It was winter, Tony and I had fallen in love and naturally we wanted to get engaged. But these were the days when the guy (if he’s decent) gets the girl's parents’ permission before he moves forward. I’m thrilled to mention that both my son and my son-in-law honoured that age old practice with their own in-laws.
My Daddy was a scientist. He was quiet, intelligent, and contemplative. His silence was often misinterpreted as “smouldering”). Tony on the other hand that day was simply TERRIFIED!
Today was the day. Tony was determined to go face-to-face with Daddy. I knew it would happen but not how. We’d been invited to have lunch with my parents before we headed back to Fort Collins where we were students. For a while, I began to think nothing was going to happen. But then the chase began. Daddy stood up, brushing the crumbs off his lap and announced that he had "work to do”, heading for the door.
Tony fumbled around a few minutes and then mumbled that he better go check the windshield wipers or something ....... and went outside as well.
I was the only one left in the room that knew he was after Daddy, and I may have said a little prayer for Tony to have courage. He was definitely going to need it.
Daddy went down the hill, Tony followed. He picked up something and then headed to the tool shed. Tony followed.
Finally cornered, Daddy turned and like Elijah, asked, “What?” I think he would have known, just as Elijah did.
Tony took a deep breath and finally stammered out the question. I’m serious when I say he “stammered”. Tony had a speech impediment that bugged him his whole life until God called him to preach, at which time he was completely healed. But that’s another story for another time.
The silence seemed to last a lifetime, then Daddy answered,
“No boy is good enough for my girl.” Then before Tony could fall into apoplexy, Daddy went on. “But I’ve been watching you ……… and I think you’ll do.”
He then went on with some parameters (I should finish college, even if it meant after we were married, etc.), and we were off and running.
I guess the moral to this story, both for Elisha and Tony: Some things are worth pursuing!
That interchange happened 58 years ago. August 1st is our 57th anniversary and the fun is still just beginning. I think Daddy was right when he said, "I guess you'll do". When he passed away, I think he was very happy with how we'd both turned out.
And the exciting thing is, we’re STILL turning out! Every day is an adventure, full of new vistas and challenges that we couldn’t have dreamed of back when we were young and foolish.
But we lean into our backpacks, remembering with each step that it’s still true: Some things are worth pursuing!
Marsha
Comments
Post a Comment