Running for the Prize

 This last week we've decided to take the rail passes and put ourselves on a self-guided tour of some of Paul's missionary journeys.  Looking back, I realise that, even without rail passes, tour buses and Lufthansa, Paul really got around over here. And he got around with a zeal that only a man who had been struck blind, met Jesus, had his vision restored and his life’s career track laid out before him could do. 


I also realised that he took YEARS to accomplish these journeys, while Tony and I are trying to retrace his steps in just a few weeks. After "Doing" Athens”, as the Americans say, we headed south in search of ancient Corinth.  On the platform in the Athens train station, we spotted a couple.  She was wearing a prayer covering, and I had to rein myself in from approaching her with my standard line, "I went to a Mennonite High School, so therefore I must know all about you and be your friend".


But I didn't have to wait long, because when we were disembarking, THEY approached us, (How'd they know we are Christians? Or did they?). Anyway, by the time we were on the sidewalk, we'd decided to share a taxi and do an impromptu 'tour' of Paul's footsteps together.  


We just 'clicked' as only Christian brothers and sisters can. Turns out,  they are retired missionaries to India, and you can imagine how many stories we had to share!  SOO encouraging to hear what all is going on in India with evangelism.  We spent the whole day with them and are now really friends. Maybe in God's timing our paths will cross again.  


We first visited the "Corinth Canal" which had nothing to do with Paul, except he would have certainly noticed it when he LIVED there for several years.  It was a brilliant idea to cut thru the Isthmus that separates the Aegean Sea from the Ionian Sea, and it's only about 4 miles long, but of solid rock.    To open this piece of barrier would revolutionise shipping routes.   The construction was begun in 500 AD, with over 9000 slaves chipping away to little avail, but only finally completed in the late 1800’s.  Google it, it's fascinating.


But back to Paul.  Corinth was the home of the Isthmian Games, held every two years and second only to the Olympics.


Because Paul was a tent maker, he must have had a vigorous business, setting up and maintaining the “tent city” required for the influx of visitors to the Games.  BUT when he wasn't working, we know he was tirelessly sharing the Good News that had changed his life.  If you read Corinthians, you'll see he was continuously drawing from his experiences there. Re-reading Corinthians, for me, has made the area come alive. 


Mind you, all of Paul's world is in ruins today, with only a fraction of it completely excavated.  We did stand in front of the “Bema” however, mentioned in Acts 18:12. This was a big, raised dais in the middle of the marketplace where announcements were made, awards were given and judgments pronounced. It was here, almost certainly, that Paul was brought before the proconsul of Achaia and charged with “persuading people to worship God in ways that are contrary to the law.” Gallio, the proconsul, refused to act on the charge. 


With Tony standing in Gallio’s place and looking down on me, standing in Paul’s place, it was hard not to feel uncomfortable.


I could go on, but let's talk about what Paul said about "The Race". I wasn't aware that if you didn't WIN the games, you were in danger of being punished.  Not exactly sporty, I think, unless of course you’re involved in a South American soccer match.


When we left Australia 9 months ago, I had a bad case of 'reality' around my shoulders.  Our family is all fine, for which I thank God every day, but the daily dramas of being lay ministers amongst regular people was getting me down.  EVERYONE seemed to be carrying burdens that somehow, I took upon myself.  


Standing there in Corinth, the words of Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 provided great comfort. Let me quote him: “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore, I do not run like someone running aimlessly. I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”


So, I concluded, I too must lay aside every burden and run for the goal that God has given me.  Sure, I need to care for my fellow man, and perhaps be sympathetic, but I don't need to bear the responsibility of fixing them or end up being frustrated with them when nothing seems to happen.


Paul had only one thing on his mind, or rather one Person: his Saviour.  That's worth emulating! 


As we crossed the Corinthian Canal once again on the train trip home, I remembered that, like the Canal, some of our life is just hard rock, and only by chipping away for what seems like eternity, will we have an answer to our situation.


Keep up the good work!


Marsha



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprises in the Snow

Farewell to a Friend

T'was a Dark and Stormy Night