Mourning Into Dancing

 A long time ago, in a Bible study we attended, Tony & I met a remarkable man by the name of Marcus Uzielvsky. 

He was quiet.  Usually sat at the edge or just outside the circle. We knew he had a story, but this group took seriously the decision that we would protect each other’s privacy. We did know that he was an artist and rumour had it that he'd once been a part of the popular "New Christy Minstrels". If you think you’re getting old, I’ll just affirm that by adding that when he left that group, his replacement was none other than Barry McQuire, known for his hit song, “Eve of Destruction”.  Google it. You’ll be blessed.

There was an aura about Markus I can't really explain, but it was obvious to all that here was a man who walked with the Lord. He will never know this side of Heaven what an amazing impact he made on our lives, one that would carry us through years of mountaintops and valleys.

The first collision came one night at Bible study. We had just shared our grief over Tony’s Mom dropping into a coma … one that would last for the next four months until by an absolute miracle she woke up and made a full recovery. 

Markus sat quietly, then to everyone’s surprise, picked up a guitar and said, “I’d like to share this with you.” Months later, that song was published and became a number one hit on the Christian circuit. Taken from Psalms 30: 11-12, he sang,

    “You have turned my mourning into dancing;

    You’ve taken away my sadness.

    From glory to glory I’ll sing praises unto You.

    For You have covered me in gladness.” 

We were speechless, because the song said exactly what we felt that night. We told Markus that afterwards, but he just smiled.  

And then there was his artwork. Like the man, it sat unobtrusively, then quietly spread across the nation. A famous art company named "Editions Limited Galleries" picked it up and sold it as a prime example of “linear landscapes”. That’s another Google site, by the way. We have one on our wall, and it never ceases to inspire us.

The first time we came across his art was in the halls of the hospital where this time my father lay dying (or so we thought; turns out he also made a full recovery and lived many more years).  Tony and I were wringing our hands, wondering what to do, and came around a corner and there it was.  A framed picture by Marcus Uzilevsky. Again, just that quiet encouragement that God knows what we need, when we need it.

The last time his presence blindsided me was in the uncertain wilderness of trying to adopt our daughter from Russia.  I'd gone on ahead from Japan to the States to start the paperwork etc, while Tony planned on joining me later before we set out for Russia.  

One stop was, of course, the US State Department.  I needed some paperwork.  The aide practically yelled at me as she was stamping the papers, saying, "DO NOT do this; it's too much of a gamble".  

I was in tears as I rounded the corner on the way to the exit, not really ready to give up but definitely having a wobble.  There on the wall right in front of me was ......... yup.  Marcus Uzilevsky. For those who don't know us, our little orphan is now 36 yrs old and has blessed us beyond belief.  

Now you can think what you want to think, because I don't even know what I think, but I guess a couple of “takeaways” from all this are first, surround yourself with godly friends and then let God have some fun showing you the way through any obstacles in the path. 

PS. We talked by internet a couple of times to Marcus before he died in 2015.  He was his usual self, happy, very quiet and very close to the Lord. Here's a link to him, waaay before we knew him.  

https://folkways.si.edu/marcus/a-pilgrim-son/bluegrass-sacred/music/album/smithsonian. 

Have a great week!

Marsha


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let It Go

Those Pesky Chimeras

Good News and Salt Licks