Washy Washy

 Surprise!

I mentioned last time that we were having trouble finding enough WiFi to send out the weekly blog. Yesterday we managed (I Think!) to get one on its way. In the meantime, here’s another one that’s been sitting in my outbox for over a week. I’m going to send it now while I have a chance. Please be patient for the next 3 weeks; connections will be iffy at best.


Good Morning Friends,


Well first of all, my face is red because I believe the blog did not go out as scheduled.  We’ve been in a very dead zone of the Caribbean, and I guess the signal just didn’t go thru.  So here’s a word on the 3rd of August.


First of all, shout out to my sister for her 30th anniversary.  Like most marriages, it’s been a journey but they’re hanging in there.


Speaking of anniversaries, we had a lovely anniversary on the ship at sea.  Not much we could do extra to celebrate, but Tony took me to dinner (as usual).


We have gotten involved at the participation end of an on-board Bible Study.  There about 30 attendees and it’s great.  While Tony’s not responsible for ‘leading it’ per se, he’s been invited to teach several lessons as well as preaching occasionally. This is an answer to prayer as we ‘rest up’ to get busy again when we arrive at home in several weeks.


We’ve been studying 1 Corinthians, and something occurred to me in the opening statements that Paul has to offer.  Although as we continue to read, this church has a myriad of troubles, which Paul will proceed to address, make note that in his first greeting he says:


“I always give thanks to my God for you because of the grace he has given you thru Jesus Christ.  For in union with Christ you have become right in all things, including all speech and all knowledge.” 1st Corinthians 1:3-5


He starts with praise, and edification.   Then he really tears into the issues at stake.


I was reminded of the basic make up of man as we entered the dining room once again (only several times a day after all). This is a ship with 2500 guests, hygiene and certainly avoiding mass illness is of course, a concern.  We are faced with sinks and sanitizers at every entrance, and there is always a human ‘encourager’ posted to remind us of our obligation to wash our hands before entering.


I’ve noticed two ‘forms of delivery’ and been amused at my reactions.


One is an annoying girl with a whiny voice saying accusingly over and over, like a wind-up toy, ‘Wash your hands!” Then she fills in the gaps while she refuels her vehemence by saying, “Washy Washy!”


Then there’s the other young man at the other door who simply says with a smile, “Thank you for washing your hands”.


I don’t know about you, but I prefer to be encouraged and recognized for using the God given skills of common sense that I’ve been endowed with than constantly being harangued. Because of the trust that seems to radiate from his smile, I WANT to wash face, arms and elbows for the sweet kid who’s thankful to me for remembering.


I think that’s what Paul was doing here in the passage.  I’m sure he had a lot of angst about the church, but he begins with the positive.


Let’s see how we can adapt this attitude to all of our pesky situations!


Keep on keeping on, 


Marsha


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let It Go

Those Pesky Chimeras

Good News and Salt Licks