Sounds From the City

We'll, I think we've passed the middle of our time here in Hawaii since the calendar says we only have about 7 weeks left!

 It's been quite a bit different than our stay last year.  This time we've been at the church guest house in downtown Honolulu which creates a very different living situation. We still wake up every morning to the sound of crowing roosters. We learned this time that the thousands of feral chickens all over the Hawaiian Islands is the result of a huge hurricane back in the 90's that totally destroyed the industry and carried the chickens freed from their coops to every corner of the state.

 Along with the roosters, we are now greeted with the sounds of the city: doors slamming, cars racing, drunks yelling and the almost constant scream of sirens. I guess this is true in any city, but it’s a new experience for us. Fortunately, we're finally acclimated and are sleeping well.

 But being right in the middle of things here has given me an opportunity both to work with homeless as well as students.  Tony's much busier teaching and preaching than he was last year, so that's a happy thing, but it also means he’s not nearly as “available” as he was before. Bottom line, I have a lot more opportunities to jump into.

 I don’t know if it’s Hawaii in particular or America overall, but I’ve been shocked to see so many homeless everywhere we go. Like the country girl living in the city, I’m finding it a real challenge to understand. A part of me just wants to go outside and say to everyone, "Pull yourselves together!" I mean, my depression era parents did just that, along with most of the desolate population back then, so why can’t these folks do the same?

 Looking back at what I just wrote, I feel like a cross between Pollyanna and Marie Antoinette. But I’m not going to delete it; I'm not sure I can understand the homeless thing unless I try it out, and since I don't want to do that, I need to say again how blessed my life has been with the International Mission Board who watched over our every need, both physically and mentally, possibly spoiling us in the process (Ya think?).

 At any rate, I’m having some wonderful opportunities here through the churches to reach out to these unfortunates, and I know I’M being blessed. I just hope they are.

 The other opportunity I’m enjoying here is the chance to get back into good old-fashioned student work! The Baptist International Student Union has a center near the University of Hawaii, and while Tony’s teaching his seminary courses, I’m hanging out with kids from all over the world.  

 It’s been probably 30 years or more since Tony and I were directly involved in this kind of ministry, and let me tell you, 'student work' and the world has changed!  These kids now have every colour of hair, tattoos and piercings and ATTITUDES!  

 Don't get me wrong.  They are polite and fun loving.  By being at the student Center, it's obvious that they want to engage, and I'll have to say they treat me with the utmost respect. (Most are of Asian heritage so they know about 'elders'). But the GAP between what I once knew and what they know is staggering.  

 For them, the internet comes naturally. They look at me with pity when I mention Facebook.  They don't remember 9/11.They use words I don't know........the list goes on.

 But I think the scariest thing is that on two occasions the question has been asked, “Do you know who Jesus is?" Those times were the only time in the three-hour evening of 50-75 kids when you could hear a pin drop.

 I was stunned to understand that the vast majority of these students had NEVER heard that name, except maybe as a swear word. I asked a small group I was leading if any of them had a Bible. I received the afore mentioned silence with a dumbfounded stare.  So I backpedaled and said, "Do you know WHAT the Bible is?”

Finally I got a hesitant answer, "That book in the drawer at the hotel?"

 Take me back to Borneo folks.  At least modern times and culture haven't wiped out all their memories or experiences with God. I wonder if I haven't found a real mission field here right up the street from Waikiki!

 Thanks for praying for us.  The times will be getting even busier as we round the bend to the second half.  We have so many things coming up and are excited and hope we can make a difference.  Maybe by the time I leave, those students will have at least known that a man called Jesus is real and wants to be a part of their life!

 Aloha and see you next week!

Marsha



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprises in the Snow

Farewell to a Friend

T'was a Dark and Stormy Night