About Truth
Good Morning Everyone,
As many of you know, when you're getting older, the day may come when you decide to get out there in the garage and start sorting things out. Looking at the mountains of “treasure/trash” in every corner, I couldn’t help but recall the words I heard on this last trip, "There are no U-Haul trailers behind hearses". Now there’s something to think about.
Anyway, as I was traveling down memory lane looking thru boxes, I had a little moment when I came across a box filled with mementoes from the days when our kids were living at home. With the scent of mothballs making my eyes water, I lifted out my son Nathan’s senior year sweatshirt. It was supposed to have been a bonding experience for the students, and they were given permission to have a personalised slogan printed on the back.
I remember his friends were putting stuff like “Cool Dude" or "Successful"........ slogans to live by that would carry them on into graduation and beyond. Unfolding Nathan’s sweatshirt, his slogan hit me like a ton of bricks: “Truth Hurts”.
You’d have to know my Nathan to appreciate those words. He’s always been my “solid-rock-no-frills” meat and potatoes kind of guy. It’s the kind of personality that made him such a good cop for so many years.
Tony and I laughed and laughed when we first saw his sweatshirt. What was he thinking? But as we thought about it, we realised that he was not wrong. Reality might make good tv shows (although I can’t stand them), but sometimes they don’t necessarily emanate with joy and warm fuzzies.
Look at Joni Erickson. A teenager making one happy dive into the lake on a sunny day.... and her future changed forever.
The child of a friend of mine committed suicide this last week. That is so unthinkable in our lives, and yet, there it is. I remember another mother talking about finding out their son had taken his life (on the phone!) and her husband saying, "This is where we put into practice everything we've ever believed"
What about all the ‘truths' that you live by?
Fortunately, both my son and we have experienced very few life changing tragedies, and as we live thankfully, we know Who we believe in and are confident that He is there when the 'Truth Hurts'.
I'll continue passing on stories of our new book "Stories in Time" as they come in, it's sizing up nicely. It's definitely keeping us busy.
Meanwhile, have a "BLESSED" week and don't forget Who holds our hand......... in the good times and the bad, till next week,
Marsha
Comments
Post a Comment